Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Why Takes Time

Finding my why is proving to be very time consuming. Which is ridiculous because I've only spent three hours on the course so far. What did I expect? To discover my why in the introduction to the course? Simon Sinek is good but he's not that good. It's not his fault, anyway. It's me who is being totally unrealistic and impatient. 

This was the easy part. Little did I know how much work it would cause.
I'm at the point in the course where I have to recall the work events that I deemed 5s (positive and negative) and identify the spectrum of feelings I went through as the events unfolded. This exercise is called, "Work Stories." Not only do I have to identify the feelings I felt but I also have to describe what initiated the feelings, what happened to cause me to feel delighted or uninspired or creative. It's supposed to take 10 minutes per each level 5 event. Had I known this earlier I would have contained myself a bit with the previous exercise when I was simply identifying the events but noooo, I went and pinned 8 level five events onto my digital work life cork board (5 positive and 3 negative). Now I'm committed to spending at least 80 minutes labeling and describing these events. Serves me right for being so ambitious. I just had to find 3 times in my current work life when I was absolutely miserable simply because it was a huge challenge to find those 3 times in the first place. Had I been able to draw upon previous jobs (Sinek said I had to focus on my current job and employer only), then it would have been easier. But, I followed the instructions. Who knew that working for a great organization and having a great job could cause such frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment